A look at my life abroad over the 2012-2013 school year!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

School. Schuul. Schule.

So first. Who said school couldn't be filled with fun and games?! Oh. Right. The Germans. Let me preface this with saying, "I am fine, I don't want to come home... (Mom...)... and all will be better next week." But just so you know, school is quite confusing right now. Really. First, did I happen to mention it is in another language that I am barely familiar with? :P Secondly, I have no schedule right now. And lastly, school is nothing like in the United States. Not that it is better or worse, just that it is different so it is very hard to adjust to. School. Is. Hard.
But, I must believe that it will get better! I HOPE that my Deutsch is improving. I really think it is, but other times, I feel completely clueless. What really stinks is that the teachers also think I am completely clueless. They won't let me answer questions when they ask everyone else in a row a question. They say, "Ah, you speak no German" or "Oh, you don't understand. Next person." And they are right sometimes, but it also stinks. It is the same with the kids. Sometimes, someone that I don't know will walk up to me and ask me a question, and I will say, "Was?" because I didn't understand (People talk sooo fast here! Well.. everywhere, I suppose). And then they turn to someone near me, or someone I know and ask why I didn't understand, where I am from, or why I don't know German. It is wonderfully ironic that I can understand their remark and not their original question. :P
So right now it is really tough. I am just frustrated. But I don't wish I could go home, I just wish I was fluent in German! Or that someone would explain to me more slowly or in English what I am supposed to do or where I am supposed to go in school. Trust me, the weekend could not come ANY faster. Listening to Deutsch 24/7 is very tiring.
Well, I know it will get better, and I am not trying to be ungrateful, I just know from reading other blogs, students only write the good stuff. When they are feeling down, the only show the surface with one little joke or something. I just want people to know there are ups and downs, but I know it will be worth it.

Tschüss, Beth.

No comments:

Post a Comment